Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chaska My Love



Eat street is known for having a plethora of great Mexican restaurants, but I have to add another one to the list representing the western suburbs. Chaska My Love is a gem located in a dilapidated strip mall in downtown Chaska. Do yourself a favor and don't be a gringo and order the fajitas. Order something authentic and trust Rosarita or her Mother to cook you something from their native Veracruz. Even Rosarita's boyfriend Mario can cook. My go to dish on the weekend is the menudo pictured above. The broth is incredible by itself but add some cilantro and onions to put it over the top. Tripe sometimes gets a bad rap for being tough and gamey but the tender pieces of tripe in Chaska My Love's version melt in your mouth with no unpleasant aftertaste. I will warn you that is a tough decision to pass up on another weekend special, Pozole de Cabeza. No, it's not the head (cabeza) of a pig but rather the cheek meat (cachete) that is served in a broth similar to Menudo that also has hominy mixed in. I think the tender cachete meat might give the pozole's broth a slight edge as I have never tasted a better broth, including some great Vietnamese Pho broth. Some of my other favorite's include their Torta Cubana, Chiles Rellenos Poblanos, Mojarra al Mojo de Ajo (Fried Garlic Mojarra) and of course their tacos served with any meat you can think of and a plate of onions, cilantro and house made tomatillo sauce. Make sure you brush up on your Spanish before you go though, although they do add numbered pictures on their wall for the gringos.

Chaska My Love

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I are huge fans of Chaska, My Love and the menudo is a particular favorite (along with tacos lengua). I hope more people discover this hidden gem - wait, let me rephrase. I hope that enough people discover this hidden gem to keep it successful. Don't want others to crowd us out, right?

    ReplyDelete